"Greek authorities found themselves in hot water on Sunday when the most notorious Greek criminal Vassilis Paleocostas and his Albanian accomplice Alket Rizai escaped from one of the country’s top-security jails for the second time in less than three years.
The incident took place when a rope ladder was lowered by a helicopter to a prison in Korydallos, near Athens, where the two had been moved to following an earlier breakout from another prison. “
They clearly wanted to be free more than the state wanted to keep them in jail. The sheer audacity of this! They should be exhonorated on the balls of this plan alone.
Interesting episode of This American Life. From the site:
Carlton Pearson’s church, Higher Dimensions, was once one of the biggest in the city, drawing crowds of 5,000 people every Sunday. But several years ago, scandal engulfed the reverend. He didn’t have an affair. He didn’t embezzle lots of money. His sin was something that to a lot of people is far worse: He stopped believing in Hell. (2 minutes)”
Here’s the flip side: in biology, things eventually die, but there’s no good explanation for it. There are hints that switching genes on and off controls ageing, but if our theory is right, those switches shouldn’t have survived natural selection. Then there’s the argument that an accumulation of faults does us in. However, there are plenty of whales and turtles who seem to age ridiculously slowly - if at all. Of course, if we can work out why, that could be great news for future humans (if not for the planet).
5 Free will
If you want to keep your sanity, look away now. Neuroscientists are almost convinced that free will is an illusion. Their experiments show that our brains allow us to think we are controlling our bodies, but our movements begin before we make a conscious decision to move. Some researchers have already been approached to testify in court that the defendant is not to blame for anything they did. A scary legal future awaits.
The takeaway: Death is unnecessary and we have no free will.
Among the horrible things Obama himself is doing to shepard our wonderful country into the waiting arms of Socialism:
• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s. (health care? More like, WHO CARES? hahahhaa…seriously, if you get an STD fuck you. Clearly, everyone already knows how to prevent these diseases, that’s why AIDS doesn’t exist in America.)
• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs. (Why pay for waste disposal programs, when we already have one in place. It’s called the side of the road. Just throw that shit out of your car when you’re driving. nature will take care of it.)
• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities. (Museum? When was the last time you were in a fucking museum? Can’t we just sell that shit?)
• $75 million for “smoking cessation activities.” (Why are we bothering trying to get people to stop smoking? people LOVE smoking.)
• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges. (People who go to community college can’t even read, let alone use a computer. Here, we got these beads-on-a-stick thing from the Chinese. That’ll suffice.)
• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River. (Didn’t that just flood? That probably won’t happen again, so we can shoot this money into something good. Like bullet-proof flags that emit mace when dirty leftists try to burn aborted fetuses in ‘em)
• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into “green” buildings. (Global warming doesn’t exist.)
• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland. (What? Fuck that. Bethesda sucks.)
• $850 million for Amtrak. (Don’t people have cars? Why do we even have trains? What a waste.)